Wednesday, June 19, 2013

SOCIAL MEDIA STUFF

I get a lot of people wondering about my social media stuff.

  • Why do I follow or unfollow some people? 
  • Do I have a personal facebook account, not my fan page? 
  • Why don't I reply to tweets? 
  • Why don't I DM? 
  • Do I snapchat?
  • Do I use oovoo?
  • Do I give out my personal cell phone for texting?
As much as I want to talk to every fan I can, it's not possible. In fact, it's nearly impossible to find time to do much else other than practice for concerts, do YOUNOW broadcasts, work on new music, and make music videos. Oh yea, and somewhere in there I have to find time to do school (year round) online.

So, to simplify the many questions I get about social media, I will just explain here:

  1. TWITTER
    • Follow/Unfollow:  My marketing manager uses software for the follow and unfollow part. I do NOT follow or unfollow anyone. I only tweet stuff and reply to tweets that I can. WHY? Well, the fact is that twitter is not only a way to stay in touch with my fans, it's also a way for me to get other people to know about my music. It's a way to promote who I am and my music. Because of that, my marketing manager uses software to help find people on Twitter who may like my music. He also uses that software to unfollow people who don't interact with my account regularly and are just wanting followed so they can add to their FOLLOWER count or say that someone verified is following them. They have no real interest in being a fan and so it's like not really a true connection. 
    • Some people's accounts are just for spamming and if they follow me, it artificially inflates my followers and that can look bad because it's not REAL fans. It's just fake accounts. Several artists have this same thing happening and TWITTER is really cracking down on suspending these accounts. In fact, I've had my followers up to 60,000+ at one time and eventually found out a lot of them were fake accounts and TWITTER suspended them. So now my marketing manager is being very strict about who we follow and making sure it isn't fake accounts.
    • We are starting a new thing to make sure my followers are true fans by asking EVERYONE to add #KANEIAC to their profile bio. There is a way for us to know if you keep that there and it will allow us to keep following you so the software doesn't accidentally remove you.
    • BLOCKING:  My marketing manager blocks anyone who spams my timeline with any requests over and over again. You may also get blocked if you are impolite or use profanity in your tweets which include my twitter name.
  2. FACEBOOK
    • I have my facebook page and a personal facebook account (2 separate facebook addresses). I prefer to just communicate with fans on my official fan page. Unless I know you well enough, I don't like to give out my personal page.
  3. SKYPE
    • I have a SKYPE account (spencerkanemusic) where I type chat with fans. I do "NOT" video or voice call fans. I've tried this too many times and it NEVER works out well. I will chat with you on SKYPE but only by typing.
  4. YOUNOW
    • I try to be on YOUNOW.COM to broadcast a chat at least once a week. It's hard to do, but I try. You can join YOUNOW.COM and FAN me on there. If you fan me, it will email you when I'm on and I also TWEET when I'm on. This is the best way to talk to me and see me on video.
  5. ASK.FM
    • I answer questions as best as possible, but will NOT repeat an answer I've already provided in the past. Before you ask, look through my question history and see if my answer is in there.
    • I do not answer questions about my personal life other than things I've shared in public. Things like if I'm dating someone, family member information, personal address, etc. are not things I will talk about out of respect for other people's privacy.
  6. KEEK
    • I do have a KEEK and update videos on there once in a while.
  7. SNAPCHAT, OOVOO, KIK, or other social media or phone apps.
    • I do not use these and won't. 
  8. PHONE TEXTING
    • I do not text people my parents don't know personally and their family.
  9. EMAIL
    1. I prefer emails for business questions. If you have a question about how to buy my music or gear or about booking me for a concert, send it to info@spencerkanemusic.com. Otherwise, you can send fan mail to that address as well.
  10. MAILING ADRESS
    1. My Spencer Kane Music mailing address is:
      SPENCER KANE MUSIC
      PO Box 273
      Kendallville, IN 46755
I hope this helps explain things better. For the sake of having some personal time in my busy life, I may choose not to talk on any of these social media programs. It is not that I'm ignoring fans, but sometimes I have to unwind :)